Publisher's note: This post appears here courtesy of the news and information section for East Carolina University men's and women's sports.
No. 22 ECU will close out its four-game homestand Wednesday when it welcomes in Liberty for a midweek match-up at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClair Stadium. First pitch is slated for 4 p.m. (ET).
MUSTACHE MARCH IS IN FULL SWING
- Annually, for the past 17 seasons, East Carolina hosts the "Keith LeClair Classic" a tournament put together to bring awareness to ALS through the Jim "Catfish" Hunter chapter, which is located in Raleigh, N.C.
- The chapter finds the tournament as a way to continue awareness and fundraising in Coach LeClair's honor. The goal is to use the Keith LeClair Classic as a starting point for our own fundraiser to help Strikeout ALS.
- For the fifth consecutive year, the ECU baseball team will be growing mustaches to raise money and awareness for ALS research. The Pirates will be teaming up with the Memphis and Michigan baseball programs as well as CoopStrong. Erik Bakich (Michigan Head Coach) and Cliff Godwin (ECU Head Coach) were teammates under Keith LeClair.
- CoopStrong is a non-profit organization formed to honor the memory of Nelson Cooper, a beloved husband, father, professor, and friend who passed away from ALS in May 2017. He has a special place in the ECU Baseball program being a professor to numerous of our players in his tenure as well as being close friends with Hall of Fame Head Coach Keith LeClair. CoopStrong keeps the memory and legacy of Dr. Nelson Cooper alive through scholarships awarded to Recreation Sciences students at East Carolina University.
- Last year, the Pirates along with the Tigers and Wolverines raised $10,836 for ALS research.
- In 2018, the ECU and Memphis baseball programs participated in "Mustache March" raising nearly $11,000 with donations going towards funding, supporting families and researching through local chapters.
- The past two seasons, ECU Dowdy Student Stores has donated $10,500 from t-shirt sales during the year and has pushed ECU's four-year total (including '19) to $43,492 in donations.
- Pirate fans wishing to donate can do so by clicking HERE.
Read the full game preview HERE