Our office is currently monitoring the possibility of a winter storm impacting Beaufort County Thursday night / Friday morning. Most forecast models place the changeover line from freezing precipitation to rain, as well as measurable accumulation along, or west of the Hwy 17 corridor of Beaufort County. Please know that there are a number of variables that remain at play with this system. As such here is a summary of what is being forecasted with confidence, and what uncertainties still exist.
Forecasted with Confidence
Areas of Uncertainty
- Rain will begin to encompass Beaufort County after 12pm Thursday, and continue through at least 5pm.
- Precipitation (rain or snow) should be clear of Beaufort County by sunrise Friday.
- Areas west of Bath / Blounts Creek are expected to receive sustained NE winds at 7 - 10mph beginning at 12 pm Thursday. Areas west are expected to experience 10 - 15 mph winds. These winds will transition from NE to N through Friday morning, and are not expected to subside until late Friday night / Saturday morning. Localized flooding / inundation is possible in areas prone to these conditions.
- Any transition from rain to snow / freezing precipitation will most likely occur between 5 and 9pm Thursday.
- The possibility of experiencing accumulations vary across our county. Areas west of Bath / Blounts Creek could potentially receive 1 - 2" of snow, with areas east receiving up to 1".
Again, there are a number of variables at play that will ultimately determine the exact impacts we will receive from this system. As such, we anticipate changes as forecast confidence increases. Please continue to be aware of these changing conditions for the remainder of our week.
Additional details can be found in the email below and attachment from the National Weather Service (NWS).
Our office will continue to monitor this system, and pass along pertinent information as we receive it.
As always, feel free to contact us if we can be of any assistance, and thank you all for what you do to keep your communities prepared and safe.
- Chris Newkirk
- Deputy Director
- Beaufort County Emergency Services
- 1420 Highland Dr
- Washington, N.C. 27889
- Office: (252) 940-6511
- Cell: (252) 378-5352