Publisher's note: This post appears here courtesy of the news and information section for East Carolina University men's and women's sports.
No. 19 East Carolina opens the 2020 season on Friday, Feb. 14 when it plays host to William & Mary in the first of a three-game series. First pitch of the weekend is slated for 4 p.m. (ET) at Lewis Field inside Clark-LeClair Stadium.
Under the direction of sixth-year head coach, the Pirates return 18 letterwinners, including USA Collegiate National Team member and All-American Alec Burleson
as well as AAC All-Conference performers Tyler Smith
(2018) and Jake Kuchmaner
Also stepping onto the diamond are 18 newcomers, which features one outfielder (Trevor Losito
), three catchers (Matt James
, Ben Newton
and Justin Wilcoxen
), a pair of two-way players (Zach Agnos
and Skylar Brooks
), one utility player (Alec Makarewicz
) and 12 pitchers (Cody Benton
, Parker Boyle
, Elijah Gill
, Trystan Kimmel
, Dylan Lawson
, Nick Logusch
, C.J. Mayhue
, Nate Nabholz
, Carson Whisenhunt
, A.J. Wilson
and Bradley Wilson
). In all, the roster consists of 11 freshmen, eight sophomore 13 juniors and four seniors.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE WEEKEND
2020 TEAM QUICK HITS
- The Pirates, who are set to open their 86th season of intercollegiate baseball on Feb. 14 at home against the Tribe, won the 1961 NAIA National Championship, have claimed 26 conference titles (14 regular season/12 tournament), made 30 NCAA Regionals and advanced to five Super Regionals (2001, 2004, 2009, 2016 and 2019).
- ECU and William & Mary have played 95 times with the Pirates holding a commanding 76-19 all-time lead in the series ... The two clubs last played in the 2016 Charlottesville Regional Final with ECU claiming an 8-4 victory and advanced to the Texas Tech Super Regional.
- ECU returns 18 lettermen from a year ago.
- The Pirates welcome 18 newcomers (or half of its current 36-man roster).
- ECU has potentially six two-way players this season (Agnos, Brooks, Burleson, Giles, Norby and Whisenhunt).
- Prior to the start of the season, ECU is nationally-ranked in all six major polls.
- The Pirates' home schedule consists of 34 games including the 17th-Annual Keith LeClair Classic.
- The 2020 campaign features 17 games (10/home, 6/away, 1/neutral) against nine teams that earned a bid to the 2019 NCAA Regionals, 37 against squads with 30-plus wins (20 with 35-plus, four with 40 or more wins) and 10 contests versus six clubs that finished ranked or receiving votes in the final national polls.
- Sixth-year head coach Cliff Godwin is the only ECU skipper to take the Pirates to a pair of Super Regional appearances (2016, 2019).
- Godwin (201) is 12 wins away from passing Keith LeClair (212) for third place on ECU's all-time wins list.
- Including preseason, the Pirates have been ranked or received votes in at least one national poll in 37-straight weeks (began in 2018 preseason).
View the full preview and more information about the game HERE