Publisher's note: This informational nugget was sent to me by Ben Shapiro, who represents the Daily Wire, and since this is one of the most topical news events, it should be published on BCN.
The author of this post is Ryan Saavedra.
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) issued a blistering statement threatening Iran on Tuesday in response to hundreds of supporters of an Iranian-backed attacking the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq.
The attack came in response to U.S. forces killing dozens of members of Kataib Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed terrorist organization, that had been attacking U.S. forces in the region.
In a series of tweets, Graham wrote: "Very proud of President @realDonaldTrump acting decisively in the face of threats to our embassy in Baghdad. He has put the world on notice - there will be no Benghazis on his watch. To the Iranian government: Be careful what you wish for - a country that depends on the ability to refine oil for its existence needs to be cautious."
Graham continued, "President Trump, unlike President Obama, will hold you accountable for threats against Americans and hit you where it hurts the most. Choose your battles wisely. To our Iraqi allies: This is your moment to convince the American people the U.S.-Iraq relationship is meaningful to you and worth protecting. Protect our American personnel. You will not regret it."
Graham later added, "Just had a very good meeting with President @realDonaldTrump and his team regarding the situation in Iraq. President Trump is determined to protect American personnel and expects our Iraqi partners to step up to the plate. No more Benghazis."
Graham concluded, "As to Iran: They continue to threaten American interests at their own peril. Very reassuring to see President Trump has beefed up our military capability to protect our personnel in Baghdad. Decisive action in the face of adversity is the best way to keep Americans safe anywhere in the world - particularly the Middle East."
U.S. military forces arrived at the embassy several hours after the attack happened on Tuesday and reportedly secured the area.
Trump responded by writing on Twitter, "The U.S. Embassy in Iraq is, & has been for hours, SAFE! Many of our great Warfighters, together with the most lethal military equipment in the world, was immediately rushed to the site. Thank you to the President & Prime Minister of Iraq for their rapid response upon request. Iran will be held fully responsible for lives lost, or damage incurred, at any of our facilities. They will pay a very BIG PRICE! This is not a Warning, it is a Threat. Happy New Year!"
The Department of Defense released the following statement
on Sunday explaining the attack the U.S. forces carried out against the terrorist organization:
- In response to repeated Kata'ib Hizbollah (KH) attacks on Iraqi bases that host Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) coalition forces, U.S. forces have conducted precision defensive strikes against five KH facilities in Iraq and Syria that will degrade KH's ability to conduct future attacks against OIR coalition forces.
- The five targets include three KH locations in Iraq and two in Syria. These locations included weapon storage facilities and command and control locations that KH uses to plan and execute attacks on OIR coalition forces.
- Recent KH strikes included a 30-plus rocket attack on an Iraqi base near Kirkuk that resulted in the death of a U.S. citizen and injured four U.S. service members and two members of the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF).
- KH has a strong linkage with Iran's Quds Force and has repeatedly received lethal aid and other support from Iran that it has used to attack OIR coalition forces.
- The OIR coalition is in Iraq at the invitation of the Iraqi government to ensure the lasting defeat of ISIS and provide advice and assistance to the ISF. The U.S. and its coalition partners fully respect Iraqi sovereignty, and support a strong and independent Iraq. The U.S., however, will not be deterred from exercising its right of self-defense.
- It is important to note that KH attacks have also injured multiple members of the ISF. Secretary Esper and Prime Minister Mahdi have shared with each other their commitment to see these KH attacks on ISF and OIR forces cease once and for all.
- Iran and their KH proxy forces must cease their attacks on U.S. and coalition forces, and respect Iraq's sovereignty, to prevent additional defensive actions by U.S. forces.