The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is seeking public comment on the proposed Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program block grant plan, which will outline how approximately $108 million in federal LIHEAP block grant funds will be spent in North Carolina in the coming federal fiscal year which ends Sept. 30, 2020.
LIHEAP provides heating, crisis and weatherization assistance. States are given broad latitude under block grant funding to design and operate their own programs, under certain restrictions. Last year, more than 194,000 North Carolina households were assisted using funds from this grant.
DHHS will finalize the plan after the General Assembly approves allocation of the funds for state fiscal year 2019-20. Use of the funds for allowable services may vary each year, depending on the plan approved by the legislature.
The plan may be reviewed Aug. 5 — 9 at the following locations:
- Any of the 100 county departments of social services
- Online on the Division of Social Services website
- Division of Social Services Central Office, Hargrove Building, Dorothea Dix Campus, 820 S. Boylan Ave., Raleigh, NC, 8 a.m. — 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
A public hearing will be held on Friday, Aug. 9, from 12 - 1 p.m. at 820 S. Boylan Ave., McBryde Building, room 151, Dorothea Dix Campus, Raleigh, NC.
Written comments will be accepted in writing no later than Aug. 9 via:
- Any agency where the plan was displayed
- Mail, postmarked no later than Aug. 9, to:
- RE: LIHEAP Plan Comments
- Susan Osborne
- Assistant Secretary for County Operations
- 2420 Mail Service Center
- Raleigh, NC 27699-2420
NC Department of Health and Human Services
- 2001 Mail Service Center
- Raleigh, NC 27699-2001
- firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 855-4840